Friday, July 28, 2006

Good morning from Hideaway Ponds. I talked with a lady who stated that she didn't go to church because she didn't feel that she was worthy. Maybe that was just an excuse and maybe not. However through the years, I think I have heard them all. Years ago some one said, "I don't go to church because my uncle was such a hypocrite." Hello! How about this, "I don't go to church because I don't want to." Do you think that is probably the truth? Anyway...in 1 John 1:9, you can read this: 'If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.' The truth at times is, [and I have been there too] people don't want to go to church or read a Bible because them they might have to change and change takes effort and is sometimes painful. What do you think? Blessings to all of you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Stevens said...

Very true! Recently our church took the youth group to Birmingham, Alabama on a mission trip with World Changers. One of the youth in our group had the opportunity to minister to a woman who was sitting on the steps of a church building crying. When asked what was wrong her response was, "I feel too dirty to knock on the door....let alone go inside." This group of teens talked to her for over a half an hour and helped her to start getting resolution to her problem.

That was one case, but most of the time it is like you say...they simply don't want to come to worship....it may require something!

A friend of mine was once talking to a man who said, "I'm not going to that church....it's full of hipocrites." My friend told him, "Well, those hipocrites are closer to God than you are!" The guy got furious and demanded an explanation. My friend told him, "You're letting those hipocrites stand BETWEEN you and Him, so they are closer to Him than you are."

Thanks for your blog...I will be back.

7:11 AM  
Blogger Melissa Stevens said...

Hello, I am the other half of the Powerhouse Youth Center(Melissa). I didn't even know my husband had commented here until I popped in to leave my own comment. I just wanted to say this we are in the middle of VBS at our church this week, I have had the honor of teaching all age groups on the subject of prayer. In the youth class we were discussing what some of the "Christianese" terms we often use actually mean. When we spoke about what it means to confess something I asked them who we should confess to. One young man made a statement that was profound in it's simplicity, he said, "I guess you have to confess to yourself first." How true, if we can't admit to oursleves that we have a reason to confess anything them confession to God will never come. I think that is another reason why so many people do not attend church, because they have not admitted to themselves that they need to. Thanks for your blog, I, too will be back.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home